People often wonder if they can hire a private criminal defense lawyer after the case has already been assigned to the public defender's office? The answer to that question is "yes." You can hire a private lawyer after your case has already been assigned to the public defenders office. Lawyers deal with this scenario a lot because many clients are given the option to have the public defender's office at their initial appearance in a jail. This happens before the client has had adequate time to truly reflect on what lawyer they would like as well as whether they could actually afford a lawyer. Some people will apply temporarily for a public defender's office just to have someone on their case until they can get out of jail, get themselves together financially, and hire a lawyer.

If you come and visit a law firm and decide that you would like a private criminal defense lawyer to take your case rather than the public defenders office, it's very simple to change. Basically, what the lawyer will do is prepare a motion, which is called a substitution of council, which will be directed to the judge assigned to your case. Not only will they sign the motion, but ask for you to sign the motion as well. If the law firm has a position called a "runner", they will then take that motion and get the public defender's office to sign off on it. They will then forward this motion along with the order that was prepared in your case to the judge assigned to your case. The judge will then look at the order and see that it previously filed pleadings on your case, meaning he or she will notice that we're going to be representing you, before he or she signs the order. That is all that is needed for a private criminal defense lawyer to substitute in for the public defender.

When does the situation arise when you may change your lawyer, or in this case, the lawyer in Florida?  You could find a million different reasons; if you're worried about their performance, abilities, or you just aren't getting along on a personal level.  Don't feel like your options are completely limited.

Recent Criminal
Case Results

Grand Theft ($300-$5000)

Nolle Prosequi-Case Dropped

CT-Driving Under the Influence Car (M1)

Nolle Prosequi - Case Dropped

CT- Driving under the influence car

Nolle Prosequi - Case Dropped

Grand Theft Third Degree

Adjudicated Guilty; One day jail/one day time serve; Restitution fees; Court Cost

Petit Theft < 300

We negotiated an agreement that entailed the State dropping the charge after our client completed a Pre-Trial Diversion Program. The Charge was dropped via a Nolle Prosequi.

Unlawful Speeding

Withhold of Adjudication; No points on license; Paid fine and clerk cost; 8 hour aggressive driver class; 90 days to satisfy fine and class

Shoot/Throw Missile Into Dwell/Struct/Veh; Child Abuse; Criminal Mischief; Battery (Domestic Violence)

No Information Notice - Charges Dropped

Attach Tag/Lic Plate To Unassigned Vehicle (M2)

Nolle Prosequi - Case Dropped

DUI with Minor In Car or BAL of .20 or Higher

Pled No Contest, 1 Year Probation, 10 day Car Impound, Community Service

Motion to Modify Probation

Motion Granted in 48 hours

Petit Theft

Adjudication Withheld, 4 Months probation, Costs/Fines, Impulse Control Class

Petit Theft of $100 or MORE (M1)

Nolle Prosequi

Refuse To Submit To DUI Test (M1)

Case Dropped

Battery on Law Enforcement Officer (F3); Disorderly Conduct (M2)

Nolle Prosequi - Case Dropped


Charges Dropped

Scheme to Defraud(F3); Grand Theft(F3)

Motion to Terminate Probation Granted

Unlawful Speed


Failed to Yield at Intersection

Not Guilty

Leave Scene Of A Crash W/Property Damage (M2)

Case Dropped

Motion to Modify and Impose a Withhold of Adjudication


Attempted Burglary of a Conveyance

Charges dropped

Possession of Cannabis (less than 20 grams)

Charges dropped


Reduced to reckless driving

Possession of Alcohol Under the Age of 21

Charges dropped

Driving Under the Influence

Reduced to Reckless Driving

Violation of Probation

Case Dismissed

More Cases

Recent Personal
Injury Settlements


Scooter Accident


Car Accident


Car Accident


Government Liability Case


Back Injury

More Settlements