When you are facing a charge for a sex related crime the legal and personal impact can be life altering. The stigma associated with it can be even more damaging, leading to loss of a job, estrangement from family and even divorce. If you have been charged with a sex crime it is important that you contact a sex crime defense attorney immediately.
Sexual Offenses In Florida
Our sex crimes defense attorneys have years of experience in the criminal justice system handling cases across Central Florida.
We have experience defending clients charged with:
Florida Sex Crimes Penalties
Although there are different consequences depending on the sex crime you are charged with there are a few penalties that are applied to all sex related felony offenses.
- Sex Offender Registration: If you are convicted of a sexually related felony in Florida you have to register with state and National Sexual Offender registrations.
- Imprisonment: Though it varies depending on the crime all sexual felonies in Florida carry a mandatory prison sentence.
- Civil Commitment Proceedings: If you have been convicted of a sex related felony the State Attorney may seek to have the offender committed to a commitment facility after the completion of their criminal sentence.
- Probation: Once a person who has been convicted of a sex crime is released they will be put on Sex Offender Probation. This probation regulates where you can live, work, imposes a curfew and requires sexual offender counseling.
Orlando Sex Crimes Defense Strategies
Defending some one charged with a sex related crime is much more difficult than other criminal charges. Typically sex crimes have specialized police and attorneys. Sex crimes prosecutors generally have much more experience than a typical prosecutor.
As former prosecutors we are well-versed on how prosecutors these kinds of cases. There are several types of defense strategies that may be admissible including:
- False Charges: Sometimes people bring false charges of sexual assault to cover up consensual sex if it would be damaging to the person reputation.
- False Memory Syndrome: False memory syndrome can come into play when children make allegations that they have been victimized. The questions that an authority figure asks a child can cause the child to say and remember things that didn't really occur.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If photos, computer files, or other materials were confiscated from you, was the search and seizure properly handled by the police? If not, that evidence is not admissible.
- Entrapment: Were you entrapped to commit a crime you would not normally have committed?
- Computer Hacking: Did someone hack into your computer and download images that you would never have downloaded yourself?
Contact a Sex Crime Defense Lawyer in Orlando
If you are facing a criminal charge for a sex crime, our defense attorneys will aggressively protect your rights. Contact us online or call us at 407-228-3838 day or night, to schedule a free consultation.
To Claim Your Free Case Review
- Police Report Review
- Strategic Planning Tool
- The Guide to Getting Through My Arrest and Charges