William D. Umansky
William D. Umansky
William D. Umansky or “The Lawman” as he is affectionately known by his peers has almost two decades of experience offering “Second Chances” to clients who have either been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or who have, unfortunately, been charged with a crime. His practice is based in Central Florida and he advocates for his clients throughout Florida. He is the Managing Partner of the Umansky Law Firm where he directs a team of lawyers dedicated to success and to working hard to try and achieve the results the firm’s client’s desire. He has appeared or been quoted in many national media outlets including USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, People Magazine, NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX affiliates around the country. Recently, Bill was named a Top Criminal Lawyer by Orlando Home and Leisure Magazine. Bill is a lawyer, entrepreneur, business owner and number one Amazon best selling author of “Power Principles of Success”.
Bill's practice is focused on providing his clients with “second chances” and Bill prides himself on working hard to see that people who are injured are given compensation to begin their journey towards a new and better life-- a life they can begin as masters of their own destiny, not merely as victims of circumstance. Bill handles all personal injury cases including car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, sex abuse, negligent security, slip and fall and premise liability cases.
Additionally, Bill has helped numerous people, who have been caught making mistakes and finding themselves entrenched in the Criminal Justice system, to get a second chance by getting their charges dropped, reduced or potential sentences mitigated the potential sentence and in many cases giving them the guidance they need to address their particular problem such as drug or alcohol abuse so these clients don’t not find themselves in trouble again. He has handled all types of Felony, Misdemeanor and Ordinance charges including cases involving drunk driving, drug sale or possession, trafficking, prostitution, mortgage fraud, theft, shoplifting, false imprisonment, ponzi schemes, suspended licenses, battery, domestic violence, obstruction charges and many others.
Bill honed his skills as an attorney by serving as Assistant State Attorney in Florida as well as The City Prosecutor for the City of Orlando. As a prosecutor, Bill gained invaluable experience trying a voluminous number of cases. In addition to working as a prosecutor and criminal defense lawyer, he also worked for two of the most preeminent Personal Injury law firms in Orlando prior to opening his own law firm. Bill has extensive courtroom experience and won’t hesitate to try a client's case, when necessary, to try and attain the results his clients need. Bill has an active "mock courtroom" at his office that he uses to prepare his clients to overcome the stress of attending court and to prepare their cases to win.
Bill graduated cum laude from the University of South Florida with a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and obtained a law degree from the University of Florida College of Law. During law school, Bill was a member of the University of Florida Trial Team and received a Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Contribution to the University of Florida Law School. He also earned an award for achieving the top grade for his work in Negotiations and Dispute Settlement. Mr. Umansky also attended the Tulane Institute of European Legal Studies.
In addition to his role as a lawyer, Bill has been involved with teaching others about the law. He has also been a Police Academy Instructor, former Police Legal Advisor, an Adjunct Professor at Florida Metropolitan University and a Legislative Assistant to a United States Senator.
Bill Umansky is active in the Orlando community. He is currently on the Board of Directors for the Orange County Bar Association, Teen Court and Teen Alternatives, Inc. and previously served as a board member for the YMCA of Central Florida, Rotary Club of Avalon Park and the Orange County Legal Aid Society. Bill is actively involved in a number of legal organizations including The Florida Justice Association and Central Florida Trial Attorney Association. Aside from his legal contributions, Bill has served the youth of the community coaching and serving as a volunteer for youth soccer, basketball and football teams in the Orlando area.
Bill is married to his wife Zahra Umansky, who is also an accomplished criminal trial lawyer, and he is the proud father of two great boys. He lives life with the motto of "Carpe Diem" and truly believes that every day needs to be lived to its fullest with passion and intensity-- because every day could be the last day one has on earth.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Nursing Home
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Automobile Accidents
- Product Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Dog Bite
- Slip & Fall
- Florida, 1992
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- Juris Doctorate - Trial Team - 1992
- Honors: Book Awards Highest Grade - Negotiation & Dispute Settlements
- Honors: Certificate of Recognition - Outstanding Contribution to UF College of LAW
- Honors: John Marshall Bar Association Senator
- University of South Florida
- Bachelor of Arts (Cum Laude) - 1988
- Major: Psychology
- Power Principles For Success, Co-Author, 2010
- "Second Chances" Stories of Hope, Redemption and Forgiveness, Author
- Juvenile Criminal Defense Strategies, Co-Author, 2011
- "Law and Civics"--2012 Colonial High School for the OCBA Foundation
Honors and Awards
- Orange County Legal Aid Society, Breakfast of Champions, Award for Outstanding Service, 2009 - 2010
- Orange County Legal Aid Society: Recognition for Service as Trustee of the Board, 2009
- Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition by Congressman Grayson for service to Legal Aid, 2009
- Bronze award to Legal Aid, 2009
- Florida Trend's 2010 Legal Elite Recognition, 2010
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- National Academy of Best Selling Authors-Certificate of Recognition -of Best-Selling Book, 2010
- Orlando Home & Leisure Magazine Top Lawyers-Traffic Violations
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ninth Judical Circuit Grievance Committee, 2010
- Legal Aid Society, Event Chairman, Breakfast of Champions, 2008
- Orange County Bar Association, Co-Chairman, Criminal Law Committee, 2000 - 2005
- Orange County Bar Association, Executive Counsel, 2008 - Present
- Orange County Bar Association, Gala Committee
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Association of Trial Lawyers, 2002 - 2007
- Florida Justice Association, Member
- Central Florida Criminal Defense Attorneys Association, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2007
- Secretary of Teen Alternatives, Inc., 2003 - 2005
- Orange County Teen Court Judge, Board of Directors, 2003 - Present
- Inns of Court, 1996 - 2006
- Orange County Legal Aid Society, Board of Trustees, 2006 - 2009
- Community Involvement, Board of Directors, Central Florida YMCA, 2003 - 2005
- Rotary Club of Avalon Park, 2006 - Present
- Orlando Chamber of Commerce, 2006 - Present
- Speaking Engagements, Avalon Park Safe Neighborhood Meet & Greet
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Assistant State Attorney, 1993 - 1995
- City Prosecutor, 1995 - 1996
- Elizabeth Faiella, P.A. (Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice), Associate
- Best & Anderson (Personal Injury), Associate